Student Visas to Study in Australia

Are you planning on studying in Australia for 4 months or more? If so, you’ll need to apply and be accepted for a student visa. Australia is known to be very strict with its visa process, so here’s a list of what you need to know.

What type of visa do I need?

All bachelors and masters study programmes in Australia require you to have a subclass 500 student visa. You can find out more and apply online here.

When should I apply?

You can only apply for a student visa if you have received an unconditional offer from an Australian University. In other words, you must first apply to your chosen university and be accepted onto a course. Once you accept a place on your course, pay the required deposit towards your tuition fees and receive written proof of this, called a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), you can apply for your visa.

We recommend that you apply as soon as you can to ensure it is all sorted in time. It can take up to 4 weeks to receive your student visa (or longer, if there are issues!)

How much does it cost?

The visa fee is $620 AUD, however, this is subject to change every 1st July. This fee will have to be paid in full when you submit your application.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last the duration of your study programme, up to 5 years including holidays. The exact length of your visa will depend on your specific course, whether you’re studying full or part-time and how long you plan to study for. It will also let you remain in Australia for some time afterwards.

When can I travel to Australia?

You can enter Australia up to 90 days before your course starts. This will give you plenty of time to get settled, find accommodation and go exploring.

Can I work while on a student visa?

On a student visa you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time, and full time during holidays. You will not be actually allowed to start working until you have started your course. Keep in mind that unpaid and voluntary work still counts in the 40-hour limit, and so you still need to apply for permission to work.

Can I apply for another visa when my course ends?

If you have studied for two years towards a bachelor, master or research degree then you may be entitled to apply for a post-study work visa. There are so many different options depending on your circumstances. You can find a full list here.

Your legal obligations:

  • You must remain enrolled in a course registered on CRICOS, The Australian Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. 
  • You must maintain satisfactory attendance on your course, as required by your education provider.
  • You must make satisfactory academic progress for each study period.
  • You must advise your education provider of your home address within seven days of arriving in Australia. If you change address during your stay, you must tell your education provider within seven days.
  • You must maintain suitable health insurance throughout your time in Australia. This can be done by obtaining OSHC, Overseas Student Health Cover.

Enjoyed this article? Read these next:

Australia – Essential Guide for International Students