Regardless of how hard you study, nothing can prepare you for the realities of the professional world like an internship can. Before going point-blank into a 9 to 5 profession, it’s wise to test the waters first. And the best way to do that is by applying for work experience or an internship. Some of the biggest corporations in the world will pay for these positions, while others will only pay for your expenses. Here are 5 global companies with great internship opportunities.
1. The World Bank
The World Bank internship programs are offered twice a year.
• Summer Internship (May–September): The application period is December 1–January 31 each year.
• Winter Internship (November–March): The application period is October 1-31 each year.
- Internship sectors: economics, finance, human development (public health, education, nutrition, population), social sciences (anthropology, sociology), agriculture, environment, engineering, urban planning, natural resources management, private sector development, Accounting, Communications, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, Treasury, and other corporate services.
- What they say: “To be eligible for the internship, candidates must possess an undergraduate degree and already be enrolled in a full-time graduate study program (pursuing a Master’s degree or PhD with plans to return to school in a full-time capacity). Generally, successful candidates have completed their first year of graduate studies or are already into their PhD programs.”
From summer undergraduates to PhD students, Google welcomes all of them. The good news is that they have offices in every corner of the world, so you might work in America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa, Latin America.
- Internship sectors: technology, product management, computer programming, finance, UX, advertising, research, software engineering, business (all areas), MBA, law.
- What they say: “Our interns are a part of Google – involved and solving problems from the start. With internships across the globe, ranging from Software Engineering to User Experience, we offer many opportunities to grow with us.”
3. J.P. Morgan
Having clients in more than 100 countries, JP Morgan organises numerous programs for full-time undergraduates, graduates, PhD graduates everywhere from the Americas to Europe, India, South Africa.
- Internship sectors: human resources, sales and trading, investment banking, accounting and finance, asset management, operations.
- What they say: “There is no better way to find out if JPMorgan Chase is the right place for you to begin your career than with an internship here. Internship programs are designed for you to work with us during your off-time and help you explore our firm and gain hands-on work experience before applying for one of our full-time roles.”
This humongous company offers hundreds of opportunities for young, ambitious people, putting at their disposal contracts of up to three years long. With opportunities spanning Europe, America, Africa, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East, there are plenty of internships and student job opportunities across the world.
- Internship sectors: marketing, IT, human resources, finance.
- What they say: “This 3-year Graduate Programme is designed to prepare Unilever’s Future Leaders (UFL) by giving them challenging jobs/roles that prepare them for business leadership roles. The Programme encompasses rotations within and across functions in an accelerated learning environment. This includes international stints, extended leadership contact, formal training and professional development.”
H&M is a fantastic company to work for. Usually starting in November, internships at H&M need to be submitted before this date. They are paid and are a good opportunity to get to know the people from within the industry you want to get into.
- Internship sectors: engineering, business, fashion, design, buying, pattern making.
- What they say: “From the Head Office in Stockholm, H&M run a Summer internship program with the purpose of finding talents for different parts of our fast expanding organization both in Sweden and around the world. The internship is designed to give you an understanding of our core business and to start building a network within our organization. You will get a mentor that will introduce you to H&M and your role, you will attend several seminars held by our leaders and work as a Sales Advisor in our stores.“
Among other renowned companies you should take into consideration when applying for an internship are Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, IBM, Twitter, Yahoo and Intel. Apart from a great name on your CV, a memorable experience and skills acquired, you will find yourself inundated with amazing job offers from the company itself or other influential corporations.