What To Study Student Lifestyle Student Visas to Study in Australia

Student Visas to Study in Australia

Anyone studying in Australia for 4 months or more will have to apply and be accepted for a student visa. Australia is very strict with their visa process, so we thought we would make a list of all the essential things to know!

What type of Visa do I need?

All study programmes require you to have a subclass 500 student visa, you can apply online by clicking here.

When should I apply?

You can only apply if you have an unconditional offer from an Australian University and have written proof of this, this is called a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). You also have to have paid the required deposit towards your tuition fees. We recommend you apply as soon as you can to ensure it is all sorted in time! It can take up to 4 weeks (or longer, if there are issues!)

How much does it cost?

The visa fee is $620 AUD, however this is subject to change every 1st July. This fee will have to be paid in full when you submit your application.

How long does the Visa last?

Your student Visa will last the duration of your study programme (including holidays!) and will let you remain in Australia for some time afterwards. This amount of time varies between 1 and 3 months, and depends on your specific course and how long you are studying for.

When can I travel to Australia?

You can enter Australia up to 90 days before your course starts. This will give you time to find accommodation, get settled, find a job, etc.

Can I work while on a student visa?

On a student visa you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time, and full time during holidays. You will not be actually allowed to start working until you have started your course. Keep in mind that unpaid and voluntary work still counts in the 40 hour limit, and so you still need to apply for permission to work!

Can I apply for another Visa when my course ends?

Current laws do state that if you have studied for two years towards a University bachelors, masters or degree research then you will be entitled to apply for a Post Study Work Visa. There are so many different circumstances, so head over to the Australia Department of Immigration and Citizenship website by clicking here.

Your legal obligations:

  • You must remain enrolled in a course registered on CRICOS
  • You must maintain satisfactory attendance on your course, as required by your education provider.
  • You must make satisfactory academic progress for each study period.
  • You must advise your education provider of your home address within seven days of arriving in Australia. If you change address during your stay, you must tell your education provider within seven days.
  • You must maintain suitable health insurance throughout your time in Australia. This can be done by obtaining OSHC.