What To StudyStudent LifestyleA Guide to Student Visas for America

A Guide to Student Visas for America

America has always been the number one destination choice for international students, but its Visa process can be difficult to navigate. Fortunately, we are here to help clear things up and make your transition to America a little bit easier!

Please note: it is extremely crucial that you apply for your visa well in advance of the date your studies begin. If possible, apply three months before you plan to travel to the USA!

The USA issues different types of visas to students:

A full-time student would receive an F-1 or M-1 visa.

Your spouse and children would receive F-2 or M-2 visas.

An Exchange Visitor would receive a J-1 visa. Exchange Visitors come to the USA for consultation, training, research or teaching, or for an approved Au Pair or temporary work position.

Last Year 362,896 F-1 Student visas were issued and there are currently 1,169,464 million students in the United States on F and M visas!

Your school or university will send you a form confirming that you have been accepted at an institution authorised by the U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Service (USCIS) to enrol non-immigrant students (the I-20 for an F-1 visa or the DS-2019 for a J-1 visa.) You will read and sign this form.