Student LifestyleA Beginner's Guide to University Jargon

A Beginner’s Guide to University Jargon

Anyone who has gone to University knows that there is a lot of jargon you will be bombarded with, and you will not necessarily be told what these things all mean. We have decided to create a list of the most commonly used University jargon that you will most-likely come across, and give you simple definitions.

Academic Advisor – A member of academic staff who will provide you with advice on your academic progress

Assessment – The process of checking and marking students’ academic work. Depending on the course, modes of assessment may include examinations, essays, reports, projects or combinations of these.

Bachelor’s Degree – This is a full undergraduate degree qualification which generally takes three to four years to complete on a full-time basis.

BA, BSc, LLB, BEng, Bed – These titles refer to the subject discipline of your course. For example, BA = Bachelor of Arts, BSc = Bachelor of Science, etc. There is a long-standing feud between BAs and BScs.

Credit – Highlights the level and quantity of work for a module. This is awarded on successful completion of each module within a university award, and you need a certain number of credits to complete your certificate or degree course.

Dissertation – A subject-related research project, usually several thousand words in length, completed during the final year of study.

Foundation Degree – Foundation Degrees can offer a different route onto a bachelor’s degree for anyone with qualifications slightly below the entry requirements for the course. They usually take one year to complete full time.

Halls of Residence – University-provided blocks of accommodation. Students usually spend their first year in Halls.

Joint or Joint Major – A course where you spend equal time studying two disciplines, e.g. History and Film Studies.

Joint Honours/Combined Honours – An undergraduate degree in which students study more than one subject.

Lecture – Usually a formal, instructive talk, given by a subject specialist to a group of students. Students typically listen and make notes, although there can be some interaction.

Sandwich course – This is a course which incorporates a placement year where you will spend a year in industry.

Things your dad will say

Digs – student accommodation

What are you reading? – what course are you studying?