• Contents

  • Rectangle

    As Western Australia’s largest and most multicultural university, Curtin offers internationally recognised degrees that focus on combining
    theory and practical skills to make tomorrow better.

    By studying at Curtin, you can add value to your home degree and gain a competitive edge. In today’s global world, employers seek graduates with an international perspective, and the cross-cultural skills you will learn from the experience will become an invaluable professional asset. By taking up the challenge of moving to a new country, you will broaden your perspective, be inspired and make lifelong friends from around the world.

    Curtin University is a global university, with campuses in Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai and Mauritius. Curtin’s growing international reputation has seen it rise up the university rankings in recent years. The university is now ranked in the top one percent of universities worldwide in the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019.

    Curtin offers you:

    Choose a pre-approved study package or design your own.

    More experience
    Gain a competitive advantage by broadening your cross-cultural skills and understanding.

    Meet staff and students from around the globe.

    Counselling services and programs to make your time at Curtin enjoyable and productive.

    Why Choose

  • Rectangle

    Curtin University’s Study Abroad and Student Exchange programs offer exciting opportunities to undertake university level studies in Perth,
    Western Australia. The broad range of courses and Curtin’s international reputation for excellence in teaching and research will add a valuable dimension to your education.

    Home to more than 53,000 students, including 16,000 international students, Curtin is widely recognised for the practical and applied nature
    of its courses.

    In combination with relevant theory, the industry-linked courses aim to provide graduates with the skills essential to reaching great academic and professional heights.

    We also have a lively campus life that will ensure your stay in Perth is social and enjoyable. By opening yourself up to the world, the world will open up for you. The experiences and qualifications you will gain at Curtin will give your home degree a global edge and equip you with the skills you need to make your tomorrow better.

    We invite you to come to Curtin and experience what may be the most rewarding educational experience of your life.

    About Curtin

  • Group

    Fast Facts

  • Running for either one or two semesters, Curtin’s agreement with your university means you don’t need to pay tuition fees to Curtin – just continue paying your fees to your home institution as normal.

    You are responsible for covering any costs associated with your exchange, including (but not limited to) accommodation, living expenses, airfares and other travel expenses, student visa and compulsory student health insurance.

    Student Exchange

  • The Study Abroad program is similar to the Student Exchange program, the main difference being that you pay your tuition fees direct to Curtin rather than your home institution. You don’t need to be a student of a partner institution, but you must be studying at a recognised education institution abroad to be eligible.

    You can choose to study for one or two semesters, and the units you study at Curtin will be credited to your home degree if approved by your home university. As with Student Exchange, you will be required to meet all other costs associated with your exchange. Applications are open year-round. All costs related to the study abroad program are to be paid to Curtin University in local currency (AUD).

    With your future career prospects in mind, you can choose to tailor your study abroad experience and incorporate a work placement opportunity during your semester studies at Curtin.

    Study Abroad

  • Rectangle

    There are several units* (subjects) at Curtin that
    give you a glimpse into Australia’s history, environment, lifestyle, topical issues and relationship with the Asia-Pacific region.

    *Please note that these
    units are optional

    Exciting Units
    To Choose


    These are just a few of the thousands of units on offer at Curtin. You can study units from nearly all of our disciplines. Please be aware that some units may have limitations or quotas.

    You can search through all of our units at:

  • Rectangle

    Study areas


    Agricultural Science

    Coastal and Marine Science

    Environmental Science

    Agriculture, Environment
    and Sustainability

  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    Architectural Science

    Construction Management

    Interior Architecture

    Urban and Regional Planning

    Architecture and

  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    Anthropology and Sociology


    Creative Writing

    Digital and Social Media



    International Relations



    Literary and Cultural Studies

    Professional Writing


    Fine Art

    Screen Arts

    Theatre Arts

    Animation and Game Design

    Digital Experience and Interaction Design

    Fashion Design

    Graphic Design


    Arts and Creative

  • Rectangle Rectangle

    Study areas



    Business Information Systems

    Business Information Technology

    Business Law



    Event Management


    Human Resource Management

    International Business

    Logistics and Supply Chain Management




    Property Development and Valuation

    Public Relations

    Tourism and Hospitality


    Business, Management
    And Law

  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    International Relations




    Literary and Cultural Studies


    Indigenous Australian Cultural Studies

    Culture, Society
    And Indigenous

  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    Primary Education

    Secondary Education

    Educational Studies

    Early Childhood Education


  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    Civil and Construction Engineering

    Electrical and Electronic Engineering

    Industrial and Systems Engineering

    Mechanical Engineering

    Mechatronic Engineering

    Metallurgical Engineering

    Mining Engineering

    Petroleum Engineering

    Chemical Engineering

    Engineering, Mining And
    Related Technologies

  • Rectangle

    Study areas

    Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine

    Occupational Therapy

    Social Work

    Speech Pathology


    Biomedical Sciences


    Exercise Science

    Health Promotion

    Health, Safety and Environment

    Nutrition and Food Science


    Public Health


  • Rectangle

    Study areas


    Information Technology

    Data Science

    Computer Systems and Networking

    Software Engineering

    Cyber Security


  • Rectangle

    Study areas


    Earth Sciences

    Financial Mathematics

    Industrial and Applied Mathematics

    Molecular Genetics


    Actuarial Science

    Applied Geology


    Extractive Metallurgy

    Physical Sciences
    And Mathematics

  • Rectangle

    To study at Curtin, you must meet Curtin University’s admission standards, including unit prerequisites and English language requirements.

    If you don’t have the required level of English proficiency, you could apply to enrol in a Curtin English program to help you improve your English language skills. You can demonstrate your English skills through recognised tests and qualifications, including the International English Language Testing system (IELTS), Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL) and through qualifications in English.

    General English

    General English is suitable for students with elementary/
    intermediate English levels (overall IELTS score between 3.0 to 5.0 or equivalent). It will develop your language skills in preparation for academic study and build your confidence in using English in different environments. Passing General English will qualify you to move on to Gateway English.

    Gateway English

    The Gateway English program is for students with upper intermediate English levels (overall IELTS score of either 5.0 or 5.5 or equivalent). It prepares you to meet the entry requirements for the study abroad and student exchange programs that require an IELTS of 6.0 overall or equivalent.

    Curtin English

  • Rectangle

    Situated on the beautiful
    west coast of Australia,
    Perth is a safe city with
    a low crime rate and an
    affordable cost of living –
    including lower living costs
    than Sydney, Melbourne,
    Brisbane and Adelaide
    (Economist Intelligence Unit’s Worldwide Cost of Living 2019 survey).

    Experience Perth



    Perth has a mediterranean

    High/Low (°C)

    to February)



    to May)



    to August)


    to November)




    Perth has a domestic and an
    international airport, and is located in the same time zone as Hong
    Kong, Singapore, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur.

  • We offer more than 1,000 places to stay at Curtin Perth. You'll enjoy comfortable and tidy accommodation, free wi-fi and have the opportunity to meet and interact with people from all over the world. We offer a range of options, from studios to private rooms in shared apartments.

    Supermarkets, shops, restaurants, cafes and a post office are within walking distance, while
    24-hour security keep residents safe.

    How much does on-campus accommodation cost?

    Prices vary at each of the residences. You can
    find all our rates on the UniLodge website; who manage our Curtin Perth accommodation.

    There are additional one-off fees including an application/processing fee, facilities fee, activity fee and a departure cleaning fee, as well as a security deposit. These fees are clearly outlined in the accommodation agreement.

    Living On Campus

  • We can help you explore a range of alternative accommodation options, including private rentals, share housing and homestays.

    For accommodation advice or support please contact Curtin’s helpful Housing Advisory Service team. You can email them on [email protected], or call on +61 8 9266 4430.

    Living Off Campus

  • Rectangle

    To make your time at Curtin as enjoyable and productive as possible, we have a range of services, support programs and facilities designed to enhance your career prospects, lifestyle, learning and wellbeing.

    Tap here to find out more.


    Curtin offers students a wealth of support services designed to make university life comfortable, fun and safe. The Curtin Go Global team are available to directly support international students who are studying at Curtin on the Study Abroad or Student Exchange programs. Among Curtin’s other services are student service centre Curtin Connect, counselling services, disability services, health services and multi-faith services.


    Curtin has a wide range of facilities that make student life more convenient and productive. Lifestyle facilities include an on campus bank branch, food outlets, travel agent and tavern, while academic facilities such as Robertson Library, campus-wide wireless internet and computer labs support your learning experience. Other facilities include Curtin Stadium, the University’s sport and recreation complex and the John Curtin Gallery.

    Mentor Program

    The New to Curtin Mentor Program links Study Abroad and Exchange students to Curtin students who have previously been on exchange. Students will connect with their mentor during the orientation period. They’ll be able to show students the ropes and help them get settled. The best part is that they have been exchange students too, so they know what it’s like when you are just arriving in a new country.

    Support Services
    And Facilities

  • Curtin Experiences offers Curtin students a wide-range of activities and excursions every semester. This is particularly exciting for Study Abroad and Exchange students, since all of the organisation and logistics are done for you. Past activities have included kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, sailing, martial arts, boot camp and camping trips around Western Australia.

    Curtin Experiences

  • Curtin Volunteers!, or CV!, is a student-driven hub whose mission is to provide volunteering and leadership opportunities that enhance the student experience and benefit communities across Perth and rural and remote Western Australia. CV! plays a key role in getting international students involved in both university and community life during their time at Curtin. Their programs will enrich your experience by providing opportunities that enhance classroom learning, develop skills and build networks. You can take part in ongoing and one-off activities, which span a broad range of interests including health, youth, environment, culture and communication and remote and Indigenous life.

    Curtin Volunteers!

  • The Curtin University Athlete Development Program is an innovative support program for students aspiring to be the best they can in their chosen sport.

    It provides international athletes studying at Curtin with ongoing support and flexible learning through Curtin’s Academy of University Sport
    and Education (AUSE). Athletes receive
    high-quality education assistance, skills development, fitness training and life skills development with some of Australia’s leading professionals and sports coaches.

    Athlete Development Program benefits

    • Skills development programs
    • Sporting competition and club training
    • Fitness testing and programs
    • University representation

    Athlete Development

  • Curtin Kalgoorlie lies 600km east of Perth in the Goldfields region. Kalgoorlie is a great starting point to explore Australia’s south west. From red, sandy desert landscapes to dramatic, rugged southern coastlines, there’s lots to see within easy reach.

    A range of units are available for student exchange and study abroad students to complete within commerce, education and engineering study areas. You will have access to modern accommodation, a gym and outdoor recreation spaces. A thriving student social club hosts regular activities and events. Venturing outside the campus, you can soak up the atmosphere of Kalgoorlie’s famous pub culture or visit historic sites scattered around town.

    Curtin Kalgoorlie

  • Located in Perth CBD, The Curtin Graduate School of Business has had an extensive re-fit which saw the creation of a state-of-the-art teaching and learning facility for its students. The building, the elegant former Government Printing Office is a National Trust of Australia-listed building originally built in 1892. Offering postgraduate courses in business administration and leadership, the school comes alive at night when students migrate to the classroom as units run in the evenings and at weekends. The location provides easy access for students and allows for close engagement with the business sector.

    Curtin Perth
    City Campus

  • Step 1 | The Application Process

    Completing your application

    For students wishing to apply for student exchange you will first need to be nominated by your home university. Contact your universities student exchange office for more details. If you are applying for the study abroad program, please visit our website for application information and forms.

    Selecting your units at Curtin

    As you won’t be familiar with our Course Handbook, you may find searching for available units a little difficult to begin with. You may select units from the Curtin Courses Handbook and/or from the range of pre-approved units.

    The Search tips will help you understand the search options available. Remember, at Curtin we call modules and courses “units”. When selecting your units:

    • Please select eight units that have been approved by your home university and submit these in order of preference on your application form. Your request may need to be sent to the faculty for approval. A Curtin unit is generally worth 25 credits. A minimum semester enrolment at Curtin University is 75 credits (generally 3 units) and a maximum enrolment is 100 credits (generally 4 units)
    • Ensure the units are available at Curtin Perth and in the semester in which you are intending to study at Curtin
    • Ensure you have met the equivalent of the pre-requisite/s required for the units and if possible provide evidence of this in the form of course or module syllabi. The faculty may require this to assist with assessing your suitability to enrol into the units.

    Select units with a value between 1,000-3,999 for undergraduate (eg. “MINE1000” is a first year unit as indicated by “1” in the code). Units with a value between 4,000 – 4,999 are fourth year or honours units and are available subject to special permission. Units with a value between 5,000 – 6,999 are postgraduate units and are available in most instances to postgraduate students only.

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • Step 2 | Accepting Your Letter Of Offer

    Once your application has been assessed, you will receive a Letter of Offer from Curtin. It will include your student ID along with other important information relating to your exchange or study abroad program and it is important that you read it carefully.

    To be admitted into the exchange or study abroad program, you will need to accept your offer by signing it, pay tuition fees* as indicated on your letter of offer and then return it via email with the required documents to our office by the due date specified on the letter.

    *Exchange students are exempt from paying tuition.

    Health insurance requirements

    The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) requires all international students to have Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) and it must be purchased before you are able to apply for a student visa. You must purchase OSHC from the date of your departure to the date indicated on your letter of offer. If you leave Australia prior to the expiry of your OSHC you may be eligible to claim a refund for any unused portion from your OSHC provider (this is subject to the terms and conditions of your OSHC provider).

    Bupa is one of Australia’s largest OSHC providers and is our preferred provider, which means we have staff on campus who can directly assist policy holders and liaise with the Bupa team. However, you may purchase your OSHC policy through any government-approved provider.

    Students from Sweden, Belgium and Norway don’t require OSHC but must provide us with evidence of their relevant insurance cover as indicated below:

    • Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
    • Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
    • Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • Step 3 | Apply For Student Housing

    On-campus accommodation cannot be guaranteed or held for Exchange or Study Abroad students. As rooms do fill quickly, we recommend that if you wish to live on campus you do this as soon as you receive your Letter of Offer.

    Once you have applied for on-campus accommodation, UniLodge will contact you with an offer of accommodation.

    If for any circumstance UniLodge are unable to offer you the accommodation option that you applied for, they will offer you the next closest option.

    Once you receive your accommodation offer you are required to accept the offer by the due date. Unless alternative arrangements are in place, a security deposit payment is required at this time.

    On-campus accommodation do not provide meals, so most students will prepare their own meals in the fully equipped kitchens available. There are also many food options on or near campus, including delivery services. Free food night events are also held frequently.

    Once you have finalised your accommodation, you will be sent more information about checking in to UniLodge closer to your arrival.

    If you’d prefer to live off-campus, Curtin’s Housing Advisory Services will be able to provide you advice and assistance. You can contact them at [email protected].

    Visit the UniLodge at Curtin University website to apply or to contact them with any queries that you may have (remember to let them know you are an Exchange or Study Abroad student).

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • Step 4 | Apply for a student Visa

    Once you’ve accepted your offer, returned the required documents and purchased your OSHC policy (unless you are exempt), you will be issued a confirmation of enrolment (CoE) document. You will need this document before you can apply for a student visa. A student visa (subclass 500) is required by all students to study in Australia.

    Study abroad and exchange students will apply for a Non-Award Subclass 500 visa. This indicates that you are studying short-term and not receiving a Curtin degree. You need to apply for a student visa online at the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). The DHA website contains general information about student visas (subclass 500) including:

    • Application requirements
    • Supporting document requirements
    • Visa processing times
    • Visa costs
    • OSHC requirements
    • Visa conditions.

    Curtin University is not able to offer visa advice, however we have provided some tips below that will guide you through the process:

    • You should apply for your student visa as soon as you have received your confirmation of enrolment from Curtin and gathered any required supporting documents
    • Evidence to show that you meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement for a student visa will need to be submitted with your visa application to the Department of Home Affairs. This must include a written statement in your application form that states you intend to stay in Australia temporarily and/or documentation to support your claims
    • Your CoE Code is printed in bold on the top right-hand corner of your confirmation of enrolment. You will be required to enter this code in your online visa application
    • It is a requirement of a student visa that you have an OSHC policy for the duration of your student visa (unless you’re exempt). Your CoE may indicate “No” next to “Provider arranged Overseas Student Health Cover”. This is not necessarily an error! If Curtin hasn’t paid for the OSHC cover on your behalf, we indicate “No” in this section. If Curtin has purchased OSHC cover on your behalf then this will be indicated with “Yes”
    • The visa application will ask you for your residential or postal address in Australia. If you don’t know this at the time you apply for your student visa, you can use Curtin University, Kent Street, Bentley WA 6102 and then update your address once you have confirmed your accommodation.
    • Although you may have met Curtin University English entry requirements, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection may have additional English requirements. For more information on these requirements, please go to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website.

    For more detailed information or general enquiries about applying for a student visa, we recommend that you contact ImmiAccount.

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • Step 5 | Complete Your Enrolment And Register
                     For Classes

    You will be enrolled in a not for degree course (sometimes referred to as a non award course) for the duration of your studies. This means you won’t receive a Curtin degree, but as an enrolled student you are welcome to participate in on-campus events, and utilise the university services.

    Study Abroad and Exchange students are unable to self-enrol or withdraw from units. Once enrolments are open, our office will enrol you into your units. Most units are valued at 25 credits, however there are some 12.5 credit and 50 credit units. A full-time load at Curtin University is 75 credits (usually three units) or 100 credits (usually four units) per semester.

    Please ensure your home university has approved your units and study load.

    You will need to complete an enrolment form and return this by email to our office. Please list your preferred 75 credits (3 units) or 100 credits (4 units). Once we have enrolled you, you will be required to register for your classes and complete your timetable. We will provide you with easy-to-follow instructions on how to complete your timetable at this time. If you have a timetable clash, you will need to let us know and in most cases you will need to select an alternative unit to enrol into.

    You will have the opportunity to change your units during the first week of classes but Curtin University does not permit students to commence classes after the end of the first week of semester.

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • Step 6 | Prepare For Arrival!

    It is a requirement of your enrolment that you read through the Moving to Australia information and arrive in Perth to participate in the Orientation (O-Week) activities.

    O-Week is a fun-filled, week-long timetable of activities and information sessions that prepare you for your studies and allow you to familiarise yourself with Curtin’s main campus in Bentley.

    If you are studying at Kalgoorlie Campus, you will need to ensure that you organise to arrive in Kalgoorlie to participate in their O-Week schedule.

    A free airport pickup service is available through MATEinOz. This must be booked prior to arrival. If catching a taxi, please ensure you have your room details and address with you. You must also remember to supply the housing office with your flight and arrival details.

    Once you are offered a room, UniLodge is your point of contact for accommodation and will be able to provide more arrival information.

    Application To Arrival:
    A Step By Step Guide

  • All students coming to Australia require a study visa. After you apply, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to obtain your study visa.


  • Your student visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester and full-time during non-teaching weeks. You should not rely on money you earn in Australia to support you during your time here. If you require support, there may be grants and loans available from your home university or government.


  • The Australian Government requires all international students to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC). After you apply, we will provide you with information on where and how you can obtain appropriate level cover to meet this requirement.

    Health Cover

  • Rectangle

    The Australian Government requires all international students to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC). After you apply, we will provide you with information on where and how you can obtain appropriate level cover to meet this requirement.

    The Australian Technology Network of Universities (ATN) brings together five of the most innovative and enterprising universities in Australia. The ATN is recognised as a global leader of a new generation of universities focused on industry collaboration, real-world research with real-world impact and produce work-ready graduates to become global thinkers in business and the community.

  • Disclaimer

    Information in this publication is correct at the time of printing and valid for 2020 but may be subject to change. Curtin will not be liable to you or to any other person for any loss or damage (including direct, consequential or economic loss or damage) however caused and whether by negligence or otherwise which may result directly or indirectly from the use of this publication. In particular the University reserves the right to change the content and/or method of assessment, to change or alter tuition fees of any unit of study, to withdraw any unit of study or program which it of offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/or to vary arrangements for any program.

    Copyright Curtin University 2020

    This publication is copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or review, as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without written permission.

    Published by Curtin University.

    CRICOS Provider Codes 00301J